Virgin Australia set to Boost Tourism in Uluru with Maiden Services to Red Centre and $129 Sale*
21 November 2023
- Virgin Australia has today announced a return to Uluru, expanding the airline's domestic network with two new direct services connecting the iconic destination with Melbourne and Brisbane, starting 6 June 2024 and 7 June 2024 respectively.
- It will be the first time Virgin Australia has ever operated Uluru services from Brisbane and Melbourne. The airline operated Sydney - Uluru flights prior to the pandemic.
- Flights between Brisbane - Uluru will operate three (3) times per week on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, while Melbourne - Uluru services operate up to four (4) times per week on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays.
- To celebrate its return to Uluru, Virgin Australia is offering a sale on flights to the Red Centre from as low as $129* one-way in Economy for travel on select dates from 6 June 2024 to 12 September 2024 until midnight AEST this Wednesday 22 November 2023 (or until sold out). Sale fares can be booked here.
- Ayers Rock Resort has also released a celebratory Welcome Offer for Uluru stays from $150** per night.
- Velocity Frequent Flyer's almost 12-million members will now be able to earn and redeem Points on flights to Uluru creating more value and choice for Australians amid the rising cost of living.
Uluru is set for a tourism boost with Virgin Australia today announcing two new direct services from Melbourne and Brisbane to be introduced next year.
Launched in partnership with the Northern Territory Government and Voyages Indigenous Tourism Australia (operators of Ayers Rock Resort), the new services will inject more than 62,000 seats per year to the Red Centre, connecting tourists directly to the spiritual heartland of Australia, while providing more choice and value to travellers.
The new services will also support the growth of the Indigenous Tourism sector, contributing to the Northern Territory's more than 3bn^ visitor expenditure.
Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park was announced as one of the Top 52 Places to Travel in the world this year by the New York Times. The region plays host to a raft of internationally-renowned tourism experiences including the much-loved Field of Light installation, the new Wintjiri Wiru cultural storytelling experience, and an array of arts and cultural tours for travellers of all ages.
$129 Uluru flight sale and accommodation deal
To celebrate, Virgin Australia has dropped a mammoth Uluru sale with fares as low as $129* one-way in Economy for travel from 6 June 2024 to 12 September 2024 until midnight AEST this Wednesday 2023 (or until sold out).
Ayers Rock Resort has also released a special Welcome Offer for stays at Uluru from $150 per night at the Lost Camel Hotel**, the perfect location to explore Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park and enjoy all the amenities of the resort.
Virgin Australia CEO, Jayne Hrdlicka, said Uluru is somewhere everyone should visit for its cultural significance and natural beauty.
"Uluru is a special place in Australia and a cultural landmark that identifies this wonderful country to the world. We look forward to once again connecting Australians and international tourists alike, to the spiritual heartland of Australia," said Ms Hrdlicka.
"We are also proud to be offering direct flights to Uluru from Melbourne and Brisbane for the first time. The forecast demand from these cities, coupled with excellent connectivity from our international airline partners, will provide a much-needed tourism boost to the region. Greater competition in the market and more seat capacity to Uluru will also provide travellers more choice and value next time they fly to the Red Centre.
"We carried over 19 million passengers domestically last year and we are excited to be adding more destinations to our network that connect Australians and open a new gateway of travel between our most popular tourist destinations and the world," she said.
NT Minister for Tourism and Hospitality Joel Bowden said Territorians appreciated the support of Virgin Australia showcasing significant tourist attractions to local and overseas visitors.
"The Territory Labor Government is proud to welcome Virgin Australia back to Uluru.
"This exciting development was made possible with the Territory Aviation Attraction Scheme and Voyages' strong partnership, which underpins the Territory Government's commitment to develop aviation access throughout the Territory.
"Uluru is a must-do destination and a preferred destination or our international markets. Today's announcement will also increase connectivity for those international visitors travelling through Melbourne and Brisbane."
Matt Cameron-Smith, CEO of Voyages Indigenous Tourism Australia, said that the return of Virgin Australia to the spiritual heart of the nation represents significant progress for tourism to Central Australia and particularly for Indigenous employment, tourism and training at Ayers Rock Resort, Uluru.
"Whether it's still on the bucket list or a much-loved destination, visiting Uluru is a must-do for international and Australian travellers alike. These new routes deliver more choice for travel to the NT, but also an abundance of convenient international connections through Virgin Australia's global network of partners," continued Cameron-Smith. "Demand to visit Uluru is incredibly strong - driven by a wealth of amazing cultural experiences including the world-first $10 million cultural drone and storytelling experience, Wintjiri Wiru - and we can't wait to roll out the red carpet for Virgin Australia's return to the Red Centre."
The first flights will depart 6 June 2024, giving travellers plenty of time to enjoy the Northern Territory's peak tourism season (May to October).
Brisbane to Uluru Flights:
- Frequency: 3 services per week: Monday, Wednesday, Friday
- Seats per Month (in each direction): 2,300+ seats
- Commencement Date: 7 June 2024
Melbourne to Uluru Flights:
- Frequency: 4 services per week: Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday
- Seats per Month (in each direction): Up to 3,100 seats during peak season
- Commencement Date: 6 June 2024
*Sale ends midnight AEST Wednesday 22 November 2023 unless sold out prior for selected one-way flights on selected travel dates in 2024 for Economy Lite and Choice only. Travel periods apply and fares are subject to availability. Fare example is for a one-way Economy Lite fare departing Brisbane to Ayers Rock for travel from 7 June 2024 to 20 June 2024 and from Melbourne to Ayers Rock, departing 23 July 2024 to 12 September 2024. Price is based on the fare booked on virginaustralia.com. Seats are limited and may not be available at peak times or on all flights. Payment surcharge may apply. Seat selection and checked baggage are not included in Economy Lite fares. For full terms and conditions or more information, visit www.virginaustralia.com.
**Ayers Rock Resort Welcome Offer for stays at Uluru from $150 per night is based on a minimum two-night stay at The Lost Camel Hotel during select travel periods and is subject to availability. Other hotel properties available on request. Offer is valid to book from 11:00am Tuesday 21 November 2023 - 11:00am Wednesday 29 November 2023 (AEDT). Valid for travel from 6 June 2024 - 31 March 2025. Pricing is valid at 21 November 2023. For full terms and conditions or more information, visit www.ayersrockresort.com.au or call 1300 134 044.
^Source: Tourism NT Combined (Domestic and International) Snapshot Year Ending (YE) June 2023. Read here.